Monday, July 03, 2006

Fresh Veggie Macaroni Salad

Yes, this can be found on my personal blog...but it needed to find a more permanent home.

Chilled cooked macaroni pasta. Add enough mayo/miracle whip to coat all pasta. The key is to not have it absolutely soaking in dressing, but just enough to lighty coat all the pasta and to slighty coat most of the vegetables you're going to put in. Then add some dijon sweet mustard (I use a Swedish product you can find in Ikea, of all places), just enough to give it a small kick to make it interesting. At this point I like to chop up a ton of fresh vegetables. I find that a lot of macaroni salads tend to have entirely too much macaroni and mayo, and every now and then you'll get a forkful of veggies. Not so with mine.


Chopped fresh sweet pea pods
Diced baby carrots
Chopped up red/yellow peppers
Handfuls of cherry/roma tomatoes
Handfuls of fresh sweet corn
Chopped red onion
Handful of baby spinach leaves

When I made it, I loved having a variety of different tastes that weren't hidden by buckets of mayo. I also chopped up some pickles, and threw them in, but I found that I didn't enjoy it so much. I grated some cheddar, and also mixed it in just prior to serving. When I first made it, I made enough to last my household a week (for lunches and snacking). And it was so good that it only lasted a few days, since we used it for our main meals by just adding diced ham to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home