Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Chicken Teriyaki and Couscous


Ingredients:

teriyaki sauce
chicken (I slowcook mine, personally)
fresh vegetables (ones you will stirfry)
couscous



Couscous. I love it. Why? Cheaper than rice, and cooks three times as fast. One cup of couscous to two cups of water. You let the water boil, toss in the couscous and a tablespoon of butter, and let it puff up. I personally like to stir it after I can no longer see the water, to encourage it to dry out faster. The one thing I hate is watery rice, and watery couscous. At this point, I also add a large dollop of honey, stirring it in. Take it off the heat and let it finish fluffing.

Start stirfrying the veggies, and just before the veggies are done to perfection, toss in the chicken and the teriyaki sauce. I've worked the timing down to an art that at this point the couscous is ready to serve. Heat up the chicken and coat the veggies, then shove everything to one side of the wok and toss in the couscous on the other side. Crank the heat on the pot for a few moments, and it gives it chance to slighty burn any honey clumps that didn't melt nicely into the grain, making it a really nice additional flavour. Couscous retains heat really really well, and once you've browned the it slighty, everything is ready to serve.

I can cook this meal, with fresh ingredients, in a little under 10 minutes. Not including the meat (since I usually slowcook it), of course. This can be made with leftover meat, frozen vegetables, and still taste just as good. I personally love this meal. Love it. Couscous is generally served with a meat sauce on top, and traditionally, you scoop it up with your fingers. A North African dish with an oriental spin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home